Friday, May 26, 2006

Devil's Advocate

Way, way back in the day. Like back in the 1600s some dude named Sir Isaac Newton discovered the laws of gravity. Now, 400 years later, we take this concept of "gravity" for granted. We learn about it from the first couple years of science class. The term "gravity' and the word "gravity" are apart of our lexicon and language almost second hand now. But when Newton introduced those laws to the scientific world, it revolutionized the field and study of astronomy and science. It blew people and the Royal Society away. Everyone knew that "what goes up must come down," but couldn't explain it or had not labeld it yet. But if it weren't for Edmund Halley (yes the every 75-years comet guy) few people are likely to have learned about Newton's idea.

Halley was a sounding board for Newton's ideas, he challenged Newton's assumptions, he corrected Newton's mathematical calculations, and he would even write up and draft geometric diagrams to support Newton's work. At first Newton was very hesitant to publish his work, but Halley prodded him. Even during the drafting stage, Halley was questioning Newton further and continued his studies and experiements to challenge Newton.

Ultimately, Halley solidfied Newton's work, he galvanized what Newton got correct and allowed the correct changes to be made where Newton was missing the mark. Halley, not only did all that but he edited the manuscript, supervised its publication, and even financed the printing (remember this is the 1600s).

The final work, Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy, made Newton one of the most highly regarded thinkers in history.

Historians differ as to Halley's true motives to why he did what he did and what level of friendship Newton and Halley had. Many agree that competition was not what drove Halley to draw such a hard line with Newton as he worked through all this. So what was it then?

Since even the professionals are not sure, neither am I, but what it sounds like to me is Halley was playing "Devil's Advocate."

I play that role almost to a fault way too many times. I challenge a lot of people when they make a statement or claim. Not sure why I do it. Maybe I am too skeptical. Maybe I give them no credit. Maybe I like confrontation. Maybe I like to argue for the same of arguing. Maybe I like to come off smart. Maybe I want them to truly believe what they say. Maybe I want to help them think of all the angles. Maybe I am challenging myself to learn something new. It could be for any myriad of reasons. I am not entirely sure why I am this way. But I am. I know I do not do it to discourage anyone. I never want anyone to lose heart or doubt themselves and their ability, but watch them grow and really know and understand what they are saying.

And honestly, I have no plans of changing this "habit" of mine. I have gotten a lot better at recognizing when it would be the wrong time to employ this trait or when I have crossed the line and discouarged someone and I have to work real hard to fix and correct that. But overall, I am just this way.
  • I challenge
  • I ask
  • I confirm
  • I question
  • I poke
  • I prod
  • I soldify
  • I doubt
  • I confront
  • I think

I thank God he made me this way.

No comments: