Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The 4th


I have always enjoyed the evening time this time of the year. Sitting outside and listening to the cracks and booms out in the distance with the bright white flashes filling the nighttime sky. I cannot help but think that this is exactly what it sounded like and looked like during the American Revolutionary War.

I am in the big city and so I am sitting on my porch getting the effect of fireworks as I also hear kids and parents alike clap and cheer in joy and glee over the sights and sounds. During the Revolution, I envision if a family was sitting on their porch, the explosions and flashes could be from the cannons and firearms from which they originated and be seen off in the distance as the battles were fought over farmland and in peoples front and back yards. And the voices heard would be field commanders barking orders, and the grunts and wails and crys of militia men and army soldiers waging a battle. Some to live another day and many to never again.

I do thank God for this country I live in and I am not naive enough to believe it was/is perfect and that its history isn't shoddy and sometimes outright disgraceful, but their is no other country for me. Everything and everyone has a skeleton or two in the closet (maybe even a full closet of them) but humanity on a whole owes so much thanks to God our Creator for the birth of this GREAT nation.

One Nation Under God

No comments: