Monday, June 05, 2006

June 2, 2001 - "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"

If this was 5 or so years ago, Friday night would have been such a bummer, who knows how much sleep I would have gotten. The only thing I would have been grateful for was that it was a weekend night and so my pathetically induced insomnia would have been offset by being able to sleep in. But now, with Friday's events transpired, sleep will be easy now.

On Friday night, first the Pistons completely collapsed. The game was done by the middle of the 2nd quarter. You could argue the series with Miami was over after Game 5 against Cleveland in the previous round. Do not get me wrong, I am completely bummed out that the Pistons are done. But 5 years ago, I would have been devestated.

Then, later that evening, after the Pistons collapse was complete, the Tigers proceeded to lose in the 9th inning to the Boston Red Sox. After fighting to take the lead, Todd Jones came in in the 9th. Got 2 outs, then gave up a base hit and the next batter Kevin Youkalis (who? you ask, exactly......) hit one over the wall in left field. Game over. That one really isn't that bad, being a season ticket holder for 5 years now, I have seen that alot. But on top of the Pistons loss, I would have lost sleep over this.

I told you it was a "pathetically induced insomnia." I use to lose sleep over the outcome of sporting events. It was bad. It was pathetic. And to be honest, it has happen in the last year. After the Pistons loss game 5 of last year's Finals (when Horry hit the 3 to win), I didn't fall asleep until like 3am or something. Of course the game wasn't over until after 1am, so I could chalk some of that to ahdrenile and caffeine, but the games the Pistons won, I had no problem getting to sleep. And really, when they loss game 7, it wasn't a big deal.

This is just me and something I have reflected on as the events happen on Friday that shows some of my "growing up" and changing priorites with life. Actually, there are very few things I lose sleep over now. It just isn't worth it. (That comment may be a blog entry on a different day, someday).

But now that the Pistons are out, I anticipate an extra 20 hours of sleep this month compared to the last 2 years.

But maybe I am saving that up for September and/or October when theTigers hopefully make a playoff push. As much as I enjoy watching the Pistons, the Tigers were and still are my "first true love" of professional sports.

We'll see how much maturing and growing up I have done in the next 2 or 3 months.

No comments: